Friday, June 7, 2019

Almost Coming Up To the 5 Year Mark!


We are coming up on our 5 year anniversary of living in Merida. I am sitting here on my terrace, already sweating at 8 am in the morning thinking of all that has happened in these 5 years. Do I like living here? YES! Even though it can be hotter than I have ever experienced, the good far out weights the bad. The weather for the most part is bearable...you just learn to deal with it and change your lifestyle a bit...like take a siesta, slow down and savor the days of October through March! The social pace slows down during the hot months anyway. Most of the snowbirds are gone by April 1st and it's just us year around folks and of course people who are searching to see if this is the right place for them.

There have been several organization that have formed and/or expanded in the 5 years I have been here. Several of them have become a good part of my time. I am a volunteer at two or the organizations and I really get a good amount of personal satisfaction working with them.  Fundaciion BAI is one such organization. I am on the social committee and we plan most of the fund raising activities. This organization does such important work in the Yucatan with HIV as well as sex education with teens. You can find out more information here: https://www.fundacionbai.com/

I have participated in several activities with Yucatan Giving Outreach. We made more than 100 sundresses for needy girls and more than 500 knitted hats for the elderly in nursing home or in the pueblas. The organization does much more than that, art programs, support of soup kitchen, teaching English and so much more! Information : https://www.facebook.com/groups/yucatangivingoutreach/



A great group has formed in the last year and 1/2 and is the Merida Coffee Club. It's a great group of people who just gather to chat and drink coffee type beverages. Though sometimes they do other activities like eating shrimp tacos or go bowling. There are many days that they sponsor pop up activities in different sections of the city. Very inclusive it's a great place to meet like minded or just get further info about Merida. Information: https://www.facebook.com/groups/227201847808754/

Another group is the First Tuesday Artist of Merida. This group of about 140 artists meets the first Tuesday of each month at a members home. After sharing a pot luck the artists share projects they have been working on. Sometimes there is a theme, and sometimes not. At any time there are oil and watercolor painters, puppet makers, glass artists, weavers, print makers, potters, sculptors, photographers, leather artisans....and we all share our works! https://www.facebook.com/groups/176173076405975/


So much more is going on in our life...I am hoping to rekindle my blog and to write more often so I can tell you just how great Mexico is treating us! 





2 comments:

  1. Hello Pat! I have missed reading your post, so glad to hear you're still in Merida. ( I was beginning to wonder) I have been a reader since before you made the final move. Caring follow r elderly parents has delayed our move, but I look forward to the tidbits you share regarding life in Merida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you join the facebook page of the Merida Coffee Club,,,great way to meet people and make friends!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: