Friday, March 7, 2014

I'm living in chaos...


or at least disarray. It has come to the time to get serious about clutter, collections and clearing our house. It's time to pare down to bare minimum of what we are taking to Mexico, need to show the house, give to family member or just plain get rid of. It is really hard work! I have sold several large pieces of furniture on Craig's List, my cousins are coming to get the dinning room set, and I have already passed on the depression glass and black forest cuckoo clock.I have to figure out what to do with the thousands of other items that are stashed everywhere! And the books...oh the books! I have emptied out 4 bookcases in one room...and sorted them into three piles...donate, send to Mexico and give to my sister! Just to give you and idea , I have 4 more bookcases to go! Another cousins came and took for her church more than ten garbage bags full of clothing and other items... and now I have about 6 more bags, most of sweaters not needed in Merida...
Some days we are so overwhelmed and on others we just wade it and get some done. After all our reward will be living in Merida!

In progress

Staging area

We have so much glassware.. much that we hand carried from Czech Republic

going to Merida with us in April

This is next!

Boxes waiting to be filled!




14 comments:

  1. Wow, this reminds me of my move a few years ago...not something I would like to repeat. It will end, and here you'll be. See you in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc....Carlos has so many Mexican History Books that are out of print and that's mainly the books we are packing..How about coming over for dinner one night while we are there...4/20-5/2 are our dates there

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Books are the hardest, especially if you love them. Been there, done that, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the task waiting on the horizon for us. Boy, do I dread it. I don't even go into the attic anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful that I don't have a attic or a basement...but the garage....that's another story!

      Delete
  5. Look at it as just one of many chapters in your great adventure. When we went through getting rid of "stuff" in preparation of moving aboard S/V Cool Change, it wasn't until we tossed our mattress into the dump that I experienced the full brunt of it. I tell everybody it was the most liberating feeling I had ever had. Relish in the new found freedom of disposing of "stuff". Good Luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time really flies! We readied one house for sale, did extreme makeover and packed for Merida, all in December! I still remember when it was two years 'til retirement...Wow!! You'll be living your dream SOON!!! We have now had our three months, and leave at the end of March...I'll be back sooner this year, hopefully!! Keep up the good work! The payoff is in sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been doing this for two years. Two. Years. Have come a very long way yet still a long way to go. Retirement is four years off but go to San Miguel every year. It seems like a long time off but I know it will go quickly with all there is to do.

    It's exciting isn't it? For so long I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now I can see it - a glimpse of it, anyway. Good luck to you! I'll be eager to hear how the move goes.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing a little of it for at least two years...but now I am serious about it!

      Delete
  8. My nephew told me that there is an organization that takes books. You contact them, box them up and they arrange to have them picked up and shipped. You pay nothing. The books are distributed...not destroyed. Try googling... I'll try to find the name for you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Better world books.com
    Click on donate and it's all there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: