Friday, February 24, 2017

Learning New Things 2


The second class I signed up to take was a series of 4 hand loom weaving class 1 a week each class being 4 hours long, I will never be a weaver. However I did learn how to do some basic weaving and I loved the colors of the yarns. Our Czech instructor, Marketa, was very good and so very patient! As our class was both expat and Mexican nationals she was able to switch from English to Spanish with no problems. With one more class I am sure I will not go on to the next series of classes...Of the two friends I went with, I think one will be going on as she was very, very good at it.
Here I am working the small hand loom

I had a back ache from leaning forward!
Even though the I will not go forward on the hand loom weaving, it did bring me to the course at the same place of basket weaving, which is now my third learning experience. This is so enjoyed. I was able to use some of the weaving techniques I was taught in the hand loom course, but this was different. It uses more movement and I had no back ache and it was fun. 
We were introduced to the materials by our Maya teacher Pablo, who although he did not speak any English managed to get his ideas across. His wife prepared the vines that he has harvested out in the Yucatan jungle, They were a very pliant fresh vine so they were easy to use.
Pablo, our Maya instructor

His wife prepares the vines
My first basket was a very simple basket I made and designed to hold a special pot I use called a caldero...I use it to make arroz con pollo, a traditional Puerto Rican chicken and rice dish.

My first basket

Holding the caldero


But Kiwi thinks that it's for him
The next week I returned to take another 4 hour class. This time I decided to use other materials as well as the vines. The new materials were henniquin which is like a sisal fiber rope. 




I had a great time working on my basket. It ended up to be large and I was really pleased with look of it.
My large basket made with the additions of sisal accents
I even had a bit of time to knock out a small basket!

After the 4 hours I went home happy with my baskets!

I can't wait for next week. So there is so much to do here in Merida... and I'm just starting to experience them!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: