Monday, December 8, 2014

Hanging Your Clothes.....yes, it's zen like




There is nothing better than the smell and feel of sun dried clothing fresh off the clothesline. As sunlight is a natural sanitizing and bleaching agent it's perfect for killing insects, bacteria, and other germs. As a dryer is not being used, energy is saved, which is really a plus here in the Yucatan. 
I find that hanging clothes out is a zen like experience. As it takes time to hang out the load of clothes, it becomes a good time to feel the breeze, check out the roof tops close by and spend some quality time with Kiwi the cat who likes to supervise.
I remember my childhood when hanging clothes was the norm. We lived in upstate NY where the freezing cold of winter had us bring in frozen sheets, and carefully hanging them on some inside lines to finish drying. With six kids I don't think that my mother considered it a zen experience, rather it was just another form of drudgery. She celebrated when a dryer was bought, but as she was a frugal house person clothes were still hung outside when the weather was nice.
When we designed the house I wanted a roof top hanging area. I saw clothes hung on roofs in Egypt, Spain and Italy. To me it made sense. There is usually a breeze over the rooftops and like the places mentioned above, sunlight here in the Yucatan is plentiful and FREE! 
So several weeks ago we finally purchased a washing machine and almost every other day I have washed and hung some clothes. I find it one of the most enjoyable house tasks ever and each night I sleep on the sun dried sheets and my dreams are as sweet as the sheets smell!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: